All great wedding planners like Megan Snugg know that an exquisite wedding experience begins with a solid understanding of a couple’s vision and ends with perfect attention to every detail on the big day. If you’re interested in a one-of-a-kind Cape Cod wedding, you won’t want to miss this inside look at what makes weddings at Wequassett so memorable. Megan shares her helpful planning tips and advice as well as her passion for creating stunning celebrations for every Wequassett bride and groom.
- What made you want to become a wedding planner? I remember wanting to become a wedding planner as far back as high school. One of my first jobs was prepping flowers and greenery at a flower show. I would see brides come in for consultations, which helped spark my craze. Soon after that I started subscribing to bridal magazine and began collecting books like these Martha Steward wedding guides of mine from the 80s and 90s. I loved the idea of being surrounded by all of the beautiful elements of a wedding and I dreamed of being the one to help make it all come together. By the time I graduated from college, I had worked as a designer for two florists, as a consultant at a bridal boutique, and as a banquet server, just to make sure I had a better understanding of the industry as a whole.
- What is the best part of your job? The best part of my job is that every day is new and different. No two planning sessions are ever alike. Getting to work with couples and hearing their unique stories, and most importantly, understanding how their paths lead them to Wequassett.
- Why is a good wedding planner so invaluable? So much time, work, and heart goes into planning a wedding. Knowing that a couple can trust their wedding planner to take their vision from start to finish is essential. Collaborating with a couple of their wedding and reception can be such a personal and emotional experience, so couples definitely want to make sure they enjoy spending time with their planner. As a wedding planner for Wequassett, I have the most unique position. It requires me to be an expert in my industry, an advocate for the resort, and a the same time a personal and professional and sounding board for my couples and their families.
- Is there one thing that you think is an often overlooked but important wedding detail? Many couples overlook the fun side of planning a wedding. At Wequassett we help guide the vision of couples to create the wedding of their dreams, focusing on the details so that they can spend more time enjoying the whole wedding experience. Brides and grooms should remember that yes, planning is hard work, but it’s also an opportunity to coordinate an amazing party and create a lifetime of memories!
- What is the first thing a couple should do when they start to plan their wedding? Sit down with one another and discuss the BIG picture items. Such as will it be a large or an intimate wedding? In a church or at a resort overlooking the bay? That way, you’re starting on the same page, and there won’t be any surprises once you begin planning. Making a list of what you DON’T want is equally as important as making a list of what you DO want. Once the big picture is clear, then talk bout location, venues, budget, and style. All of the other details will come into play once a couple starts working with their planner.“Regardless of the season couples should appreciate the natural beauty of the Cape and the casual elegance that is beyond compare.”
- If you could give advice to a couple planning a Cape Cod wedding what might it be? While many people associate the Cape with the summer months, which are exquisite, I would encourage couples to consider the spring and fall months which are also beautiful and offer great value. Regardless of the seasons, couples should appreciate the natural beauty of the Cape and the casual elegance that is beyond compare. I’ve planned stunning weddings in April and December.
- Can you tell me about your most memorable wedding moment or memory? I don’t have one specific moment. However all of my most memorable weddings have one common thread, and that is that the couples have all enthusiastically embraced their wedding day, honored one another, and appreciated the relationship we created throughout the planning process. It’s humbling to me when a couple, through their commitment to one another, reminds me why that 15-year-old girl at the flower shop wanted to become a wedding planner in the first place!
- Why do couples choose Wequassett as a venue for their dream weddings, what makes it unique? When couples come to Wequassett, they are amazed by the incredible sweeping views of Pleasant Bay, our diverse landscaping with an abundance of flowers and seasonal plantings, and the variety, quality, and creativity of our delicious food. However, what makes us distinctive, is our level of service and our staff. At the core of our five-star service is a staff working together in harmony who genuinely care. This makes Wequassett much more than a venue for a wedding. Couples have become a part of the Wequassett family, and return year after year.
- What are your favorite menu items for a Wequassett wedding? It’s way too difficult to narrow down because I am a person who likes just about everything and Wequassett offers something for everyone! Guests never leave hungry when they attend a Wequassett wedding. Our menus offer a perfect blend of flavors from locally sourced meats and seafood, raw bar displays with freshly shucked shellfish, to small craft beers from breweries in neighboring towns. The most consistent feedback I hear from guests and couples post the wedding is that our food is “the best.”
- What are your favorite Cape Cod details to incorporate into weddings? My favorites are those that tell the story of the bride and groom. I love when couples customize their cocktail reception with details such as their favorite date night food or signature cocktail, tie in a cultural or inherited tradition, or integrate a family heirloom into their décor.
- What’s your favorite wedding trend at the moment? While personalized hashtags are very popular right now, unique wedding favors, custom experiences, and fun presentations in food & beverage are my favorite trends. Whether I’m helping to plan an experience within the experience such as “Bubble Bar” champagne station, boat departure after the reception, sea captain love knot tying station, or a live portraiture during the event, my goal is to execute the dream and vision of each couple, whatever the trend.
Do you have questions for our wedding planner about planning your special celebration at Wequassett Resort? Let us know! Simply call (508) 432-5400 or tell us more about what you’re looking for to request information.